Where has my life gone?

The complete ramblings of a small town girl.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Ribbed for my pleasure.

As I have mentioned numerous times before, purling has been a huge problem for me. This is mostly because I am teaching myself to knit from a book and the directions for purling made no sense to me what-so-ever. So I have just been knitting my scarf in knit stitch and I have been happy. Except for that little voice in the back of my head that kept telling me I was not a real knitter because I can't purl.

So last knit I opened my copy of Stitch n Bitch, flipped to the purl section, and it just looked so easy. I actually thought to myself, "Dumbass, this doesn't look hard". So I picked up the new needles CAP sent me grabbed my cheap practice yarn.......and did it on the first try! Ya'll I knit and purled a stockinette swatch. It was one of the proudest moments in my life.

But oh no I didn't stop there. Mostly because the swatch kept curling up. So I read a little further ahead in Stitch n Bitch and learned that to stop the curling I must learn to rib. So I started a new swatch with 2x2 ribbing.

Ya'll. They are right. Ribbing is for her pleasure. If I thought that purling made me happy you should have seen the look of complete satisfaction on my face when I was done ribbing.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger Chase Squires said…

    ... and how was Monster Mash? ...

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    PURLING!!

    I am so, so proud.

     
  • At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hurray for your purls!!

     
  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger Chase Squires said…

    we demand new posts ...

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Way to tackle the purl stitch! If you still have any trouble, check out the videos at knittinghelp.com They're really helpful.

     
  • At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I was younger I could never remember how to purl and I'd always ask my mum to show me, which I'm sure she got very sick of! I also used to forget to put the wool to the front of the needle before purling, which of course produced a weird stitch. I can still do the knit stitches faster than purl, but purl has become a lot easier after practice!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home