Where has my life gone?

The complete ramblings of a small town girl.

Monday, July 18, 2005

This is me. Sobbing.

The new Harry Potter book made me cry uncontrollably. It was awful, the crying, not the book.
So sad and yet so wonderful at the same time.

The tale begins........
With a friend and I eating and drinking at Chilis on Friday night. About 98% of dinner conversation revolved around the past 5 HP Books and our expectations for Book #6.

At 10:15ish we proceeded to go to the Wal-Mart Supercenter. Yes we were a little early - but we thought we could fill some of the time with some shopping(and a sundae at McDonalds). At 11:15 we got in line(about 25 people were already in line) to wait for the 12:01am distribution of Book #6.

We were entertained while in line by Wal-Mart employees: handing out Harry Potter glasses and popcorn, and quizzing people on the HP books. Those who won the quiz we rewarded with a Bobble Head Fluffy! I did not win one - but my friend did.

I noticed while standing in line that 98% of the people were over the age of 18. Now maybe it was the late hour that kept the little kids form coming out - but by the eager looks on the adults faces I am not so sure. I am pretty sure that the copies of book 6 that the kiddies got the next morning had already been read by their parents.

At 12:01am the books were rolled out and that is when the madness ensued. My God people are crazy for these books. There was nothing orderly or adult about the situation. People were pushing, shoving and being rude - all to get a book. My friend pushed her way in and came out tightly gripping our books. It was madness!

Then we had to stand in one of the two lines Wal_Mart had open to pay for it. But no one complained about the length of the lines - they were all too busy reading. I had at least 20 pages read by the time I had to pay.

On our way home I had to stop by my Mom's and drop her copy off and then I went home to read. I made it until 2am and had to give up and get some sleep. By 8pm on Saturday I had finished reading.

I had finished reading - and was sitting in my living room crying uncontrollably. It was sad ya'll, my crying and the book.

So now I am done reading it for the first time. Oh yes - I will be starting to re-read it tonight.

The only problem now is - JKR has indicated that she will not start writing Book #7 until the end of this year. And that it will probably be at least another 2 years until the Final book comes out.

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home