Where has my life gone?

The complete ramblings of a small town girl.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I'll be in the back

This may surprise some people, but...........I am not Southern by birth. I was born in Massachusetts. I am a Yankee, by birth only. But Thank the Gods I have spent almost all of my life in the South and have become about as Southern as I can get.

I am very social. I can't go to Wal-Mart and push my buggy around without stopping to talk to more people than you can shake a stick at. I was born to talk and I thrive on gossip. Most Southerners do. Lord they can talk. I love the way Southerners can talk mean about someone, but sound sweet as honey while they do it. It's OK to talk bad about someone as long as you end it with "Bless their heart".

Our town is small and southern and gossip runs thicker than molasses. Everyone in town knows everyone else's business. A fire truck pulls out of the station and before they can reach the scene half the town knows where it is going and why. There is a store owner down the street that listens to the emergency scanner all day - he is the best source of gossip in this town.

There was a big social event in town Friday night. Everyone who was anyone seems to have gone to it. Allison asked me if I was going and I said "Of course, Sean and I will be standing in the back talking about everyone." She laughed when I said this. She caught up with me later that night. She found Sean and I standing in the back talking about everyone :)

Note: It may have been me mostly talking and Sean listening since I had downed a few beers. We were also eating cake. What is better than beer and cake?

5 Comments:

  • At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nothing is better than beer and cake. i want to be there. i love to talk trash and eat beer and cake!

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger Too Busy To Care said…

    I can't wait until your divorce papers come to visit and I can take them to social events with me. We will be in the back talking trash, drinking beer and eating cake.

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If your parents are Southern by way of Tennessee, but you're California born and raised, can you still be Southern? If not, can you get Southern by osmosis? Because Southerners are my favorite kinds of people - the only people I know who pair beer and cake!

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Blogger Too Busy To Care said…

    Oh Yes, you can become Southern. This is done by taking a bath in sweet tea.

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hiya! I came to your blog by way of Laurie, and I too am blessed with being a Southern Girl (birth, nine generations back).

    I have ended up in small Southern towns ever since I got out of college, and what I found out is that I really like them! So much more interesting stuff going on.

    When I was a reporter in a Tennessee town, it was not uncommon to hear reports of cows loose come across the scanner. I attended pig shows and turkey shots; never once did I do that in my larger Southern hometown.

    Glad to read ya, glad to meet ya. Drop by my blog sometime!

    Kim

     

Post a Comment

<< Home